Powered By Blogger

Welcome to my blog on life as a wife in Japan

Please post your comments!

Saturday, January 23, 2010

We've arrived

Last time I was in Japan five years ago, my stint lasted all of three months. This time, I hope I can do better. But I still remember quite distinctly a few notable experiences I had back then, involving Japanese men, that left an indelible impression. One time we had run into a kissaten to get out of the rain and found the place empty except for the owner - a wiry guy in his late fifties with bohemian hair. I ordered coffee and when it came, I asked if he could heat up the milk on the side. So I'm fussy. I was told in no uncertain terms that hot milk belonged to a different species of coffee altogether and that I had committed something immoral on the scale of miscegenation by mixing and matching. YK was then bombasted with a tirade - how he ought to know better than allowing his wife to be so shameless, that he should have informed me of my rights prior to entering the establishment and that, ultimately, I should know that this was not how things are done in Japan. Lesson learned!
A week later, YK was unfortunately witness to another embarrassing episode by this 'indoor person' when I attempted to gain entry to the local sports club as his spouse. YK insisted that I could use the facilities as his spouse under the terms of his associate membership. The manager, a guy in his fifties preserved in tobacco, insisted quietly but firmly that I could not. The reason was never made clear except for the glaringly obvious fact that I was a gaijin and gaijins, by default, were never married to salarimen who used his sports facility. In fact, as far as I knew, this hallowed ground had never been occupied by a gaijin before. It was sacrosanct Japanese turf. Finally a gracious subordinate (female), stepped in and put an end to all the nonsense and I proceeded with my swim in peace, apart from getting tangled up with the lane walkers, but that's another story.
Suffice to say, I am hoping things will be better this time around. The sports club manager is still there and this time he didn't refuse me entry. Even when chibi-chan pulled out all the neatly arranged swimming goggles from the display case. Things are looking up!

1 comment:

  1. Aah, lane walkers. I came across this species of Japanese in the pool in the Hyatt Residences, Fukuoka, during the year of SARS.

    ReplyDelete