Powered By Blogger

Welcome to my blog on life as a wife in Japan

Please post your comments!

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

I've found a guru!

'Tristy' (not her real name) has been in Japan since high school - an uninterrupted fifteen years plus - and considers herself more at home in Japan that Iowa, where she has few surviving relatives. She is a fluent Japanese speaker, has Japanese GPS and is on the PTA at her son's kindergarten.
It was Tristy who warned me to get my act together and find a kindergarten for chibbi-chan before it was too late, and that I should expect to have to hand-sew a smock and bento box bag to sufficiently demonstrate mother love. 'And make sure the food you put in the bento looks nice,' she said deliberately. 'Because if other moms happen to be around doing PTA activities and see a kid with a bad bento, they might not let their kids come to playdates with your kid, because obviously the mother doesn't care enough and the home might be dirty.'
Tristy is acting as my unofficial mentor, guide and all-round guru on Japan wifedom. It helps that we have a few things in common - we're both married to Japanese men (I found her through the Yahoo! groups 'Married in Japan'), we both have young children and we both care about organic food.
One rainy day, to take advantage of the 'rainy day' prices (10% discount), Tristy drove us to the Farmer's Market on the other side of town where we browsed meat, vegetables and fruit which were organic in all but labelling (nothing is in English - Tristy translated the hand-written Japanese).
She explained that here, 'organic' is like a patented brand which farmers have to pay to use, so many don't bother. We found free-range eggs, free-range growth-hormone-free pork and pesticide-free root vegetables, tomatoes, strawberries and tangerines all grown here.
Organic milk is still proving elusive. Tristy gets hers from a home-delivery company called Radish Boya each week, along with a selection of seasonal organic vegetables. The only problem is that sometimes she gets a whole bunch of something she doesn't recognize which turns out to be for a garnish. But they always include a recipe so you know how to cook it. In Japanese, of course.
For now, I think I'll keep looking. I want to check out what Tristy's borrowed Japanese guidebook notes is the 'largest organic supermarket in Japan.' Once again, Tristy is smoothing my way for me. She's just sold me her old Will Cypher.

No comments:

Post a Comment